I have finally started on the blanket or wall hanging (whichever is preferred) that I have been promising since the ‘little man’ was born earlier in the summer. This is a commission from my sis for her friend, Liza.
There is a theme for his nursery that is the jungle so I set about researching fun images of animals and associated stuff a few weeks ago. So far I have sketched up most of the images for the squares and I have just finished sewing the monkey square.
The images start as sketches for cutting templates. Some things I can do just with the scissors but animals are a bit more difficult and a template or pattern is a good idea. It saves time and it saves wasting those precious little pieces of fabric that are about to start a new life as something else.
Each scribble is turned into tissue pattern pieces for cutting out. I keep these with the images that inspired the sketch and file them away for future use, if necessary. No point in reinventing them each time I need the image.