He tried to buy a pattern from the Internet but wasn’t successful.
One week (long before Christmas I am embarrassed to admit), he asked me if I could crochet one for him. It wasn’t quite as random a request as it sounds as he had seen me crochetting away while is was at my stall at harringay market.
I tried to get the pattern that Tom knew was available out there somewhere but it was no longer available. Not to be deterred and liking the idea of the making challenge, I promised Tom that I would work up my own pattern if necessary and see how I got on making something similar to it for him.
I did that very thing this weekend.
I wasn’t particularly well prepared so had to make do with wool that I had to hand that were the right thickness but only roughly the right colours. I searched the internet for more reference images but the one Tom uses on his twitter account was the best guide. Armed with nothing more than wool, a size 3 crochet hook, a lot of determination and a bit of crochetting knowledge ecrued over the years, I got to it.
All my knitting, tatting and crochetting friends out there, know that developing a pattern can be tricky. There is lots of back tracking, undoing and redoing, scribbling and correcting. Not remotely put off, I crochetted on, adjusting, stuffing and correcting as I went until, by the end of saturday, I had what I thought was shaping up to be a half decent first attempt.
I sent Tom a photo on twitter yesterday and he seems to like the look of it so far which is a great start. I won’t be at the market for a few weeks yet, but I’m not 100% happy with it yet so it gives me the chance to have another crack at it with a few pattern tweak, stuffing it differently and trying some colour changes to see if I can get it exactly how I want it.
I am onto prototype 2 and it is going well (and a lot neater without all the undoing and redoing!) so watch this space.
Then it has to pass the burger bear test!!!!